The riot games are not exactly one of the smoothest games around even though it offers a pathway to some favourite games like League of legends. Some issue that players experience with the client is it not updating properly.
Some players have complained about it being stuck at a particular percentage when they tried updating.
In this article, therefore, we will be considering some of the reasons why your riot client is not updating. We will also be looking at methods to troubleshoot these issues.
Why Is My Riot Client Not Updating?
There are several reasons why your riot client might not be updating. Even if you do not tamper with the game files on your PC, you could still run into some compatibility issues every now and then.
Faulty update files, corrupt game files, firewall, and antivirus issues as well as issues with the game client are some of the reasons why your riot client might not be updating.
These issues will prevent you from gaining access to any riot game. This means that you will have to resolve whatever the issue is first. We have a few hacks that we can put you through that will help you do away with these issues.
Troubleshooting Riot Client Not Updating
Understanding why your riot client is one thing, knowing how to repair these errors is a different ball game entirely. There are different ways that you can use to fix a riot client that is not updating. Let’s explore those hacks so you can update your riot client.
1. Reinstall riot client
The most common way to resolve this issue is to reinstall the client. Sometimes, there could be a missing or corrupted file in the game folder and this could be the reason why your client is not updating. This will hinder the client from reading the update. This creates an endless loop as the client will try seeking the file and won’t be able to initiate the update.
If there is a missing file, you won’t be able to download just that missing file. This means you will have to download the entire folder again. First, you will have to uninstall the current folder on your PC before downloading a new one. Once you have done that, you can update the app with all of the recent patches of the game.
2. Use a more stable internet connection
You need a stable internet connection to be able to update or download the riot client. This means that if your connection is lagging or you have issues with your network server, then, updating the riot client will come with its issues. You will therefore have to make sure you have a good internet speed with a stable connection.
If you have had issues with your internet connection in the past, here’s a good way to work around it:
- Check the speed of your network to see if it is fast enough for an update. A great way to know this will be if you are experiencing lags with just accessing websites. You should know that kind of speed won’t be good enough for an update. So, you might have to consider a better network provider or data plan.
- Many games recommend using a wired internet connection instead of wireless. This makes a lot of sense as wired connections have proven to be more stable and reliable for gaming activities. So, you should try working with a wired connection and see if you can hack the problem.
- If you have network issues with your computer, you can check the Wi-Fi settings to work around it. You can also disconnect other devices that are connected to your router. This can help reduce bandwidth throttling and facilitate the update.
- You can also try out a power cycle on your router. This will help clear out the bad cache and establish a better internet connection.
If your internet connection is the issue, then all these hacks we have provided should help you through.
3. Disabling your antivirus
Your Windows firewall and antivirus can interfere with your riot client update if it reads any file as suspicious. What this means is that your computer will prevent you from downloading these files and as a result, it will hinder the update of the riot client.
To fix this, you will therefore have to turn off the riot client automatic updater in installing the required files. Once you have downloaded the files, you can turn back your protection so that your computer does not get corrupted.
You must bear in mind that the Riot client does not include files that are suspicious by high-end antiviruses. So, if you are trying to download a file from a third-party website instead of downloading from the client’s website, you have to be careful of viruses or malware. Forcing this kind of installation could cause issues for your account too.
4. Use the Hextech repair tool
The Hextech repair tool is riot client troubleshooting software that you can use to fix riot client updating issues. Downloading the tool and launching it will give you the option of repairing the riot client.
Using the repair tool will help sort out the issue of your riot client not updating without the stress of reinstalling the entire game or putting your computer at risk by turning off your antivirus.
5. Use a VPN for the game server
Sometimes, the location you are in could block your access to the game server. It could even be the service provider that is restricting access to the server. Whichever one it is, the riot client will not update if it does not have access to the game server.
In this scenario, a VPN will come in handy to help you overcome this issue. So, you will have to install an authentic VPN from the internet. Then, you can change your location and access a location without restrictions to the game server.
6. Allow riot client access through your firewall
Sometimes, the culprit could be your firewall. Your firewall could be interfering with the riot client update process. If this is the case, you can get around the problem by allowing riot client access through your firewall.
To allow riot client access through your firewall, follow the steps below:
- You will first need to access the firewall & network protection app from your taskbar. A quick search should get you through. Have you found it yet? Great.
- Once you are in the app, look through the left pane, you should notice an option tagged allow an app through the firewall, right? Exactly what we thought.
- Click on the change settings option in this section.
- Once you have done that, click on the checkbox that has to do with the riot client.
- Then, you just have to enable the public and private boxes for riot clients.
- You’re just about done with the process. Select OK to save.
Your riot client not updating could be a result of faulty update files, corrupt game files, firewall, antivirus issues, or even issues with the game client. Any of these issues could pose a hindrance to the update process.
Fortunately, we have highlighted hacks that will help you get past them. So, look through and update your riot client.