Controllers are an alternative way to play the valorant game, but the game does not support it. Unlike steam games, the valorant game does not become playable the moment you plug the controller into your computer.
To make the game playable, players must download software that allows them to work with a controller of their choice. In this guide, we will show you how to play valorant with a controller without ReWASD.
How To Play Valorant with Controller Without ReWASD
To play valorant with a controller, you need third-party software like ReWASD. However, there are other options you can consider if you don’t want to use ReWASD. Let’s consider these alternative options.
This is free mapping software that is well known for its use with emulators. With this barebone software, players of the valorant game can manually attach their keyboard and mouse inputs to their controllers. However, it is not all that simple, and it will require a lot of work on your part to set it up. Let’s guide you on how to set up this software.
- First, you will need to download this software before you can set it up on your computer.
- Then, run the program to display the software interface.
- Plug your controller into your computer now.
- The next step is manually attaching the mouse and keyboard inputs to your controller. You have to remember that the software will not spell out the name for each button. This means that button 1 might be A or X, depending on the type of controller you are using. To know which key is which, you can press the controller or the joystick, and the software will tell you what controller input each button stands for.
- You will be required to now assign keyboard keys and mouse movements to the controller. You can do this by double-clicking the row for the corresponding input stick and tapping the key you want to assign it to.
You can have different configurations of controller mapping by working around different profiles in the software. Once you are through the configuration bit, you can now decide which controller you want to use. You can run the valorant game and test the functions for the controller.
You must know that JoytoKey keeps running in the background even when closed, although its function will be mainly emulation. This means you have to ensure you completely quit the program for the software to stop running.
- Input mapper
This software is similar to ReWASD, and it depends on donations to function effectively. What this means is that this software does not get readily updated, and you can use a PlayStation controller or an Xbox 360 controller.
This software gives users full control over their controllers. Input mapper features various advanced macro and customization, making it a great option to replace your mouse and keyboard. To remap your controller with the input mapper, follow the steps below:
- Download the program file of the software from the official website.
- Once you are done downloading, run the application to display the software interface.
- Connect your controller to your computer.
- Look towards the left side of the application and locate an option tagged profiles. Have you found it yet? Great. Click on it.
- Click on the option tagged new profiles.
- The software will display the layout of your controller under the button mapping section.
- You will have to manually remap the buttons of the controller. To do this, you can simply select the button you want to remap, and a mapping window will appear. You can now bind the button to any of the keys on your keyboard or mouse.
- You can set the controller’s cursor and scroll speed, sensitivity, and light function in the configurations section of the software.
- If you are using a DS4 controller, check the option trackpad for the mouse to use the trackpad for the mouse movements.
- Once you have set all the configurations, select the save option. You can now launch the game and try out the functions you have set.
Tips in setting up your controller for valorant as a first timer
For players who have changed their key binds in valorant, they must ensure they remap their controllers for the particular key binds. This means profiles must be adjusted. An example will be players who like to adjust their ability binds. The new keys will have to be inserted in third-party applications, so that the controller can work well with the valorant game.
Sensitivity is a source of concern when trying out valorant with a controller for the first time. Controllers need a high level of sensitivity to function efficiently in any FPS game. The remapping software that you decide on might change the sensitivity of the controller, especially in the mouse section.
You can work around the sensitivity in the valorant game itself, and you can adjust it easily in the in-game settings. Setting up valorant abilities is a two-input process, which means you must not forget to add a second input to help cast the abilities of your agents.
This can be done in the JoytoKey by adding a second, even though it is similar to keyboard input. You can also use the button you mapped left click to cast the abilities.
Issues you might encounter in setting up Valorant with a Controller
Playing the valorant game has its issues, especially when you compare it to the conventional keyboard and mouse mode. Some of the most probable issues you will experience with the controller are:
- The most likely issue is that you might get banned from the game for a long time.
- Another issue is that the aim assists feature that allows players to get a good shot cannot be enabled when you use a valorant controller.
- The movements you will have with a controller are not as fluid as using a mouse and a keyboard, so you might be at a disadvantage.
Does Valorant support a controller?
Officially, the Valorant game does not support the use of a controller. This is why it could lead to penalties, like being banned from the game. The game’s anti-cheat system has been designed to consider the use of a controller as cheating.
That being said, with the aid of an emulator or third-party application, you can use a controller for the game.
- Will the third-party applications assign Valorant controls automatically?
Not at all. Just as we have said, installing and running an emulator does not come with an automatic setup of valorant controls. When using such apps, you will have to manually add the controls and key bindings to work efficiently.
- Can I use an Xbox controller for playing Valorant with a controller?
Yes, it is possible to use a Valorant Xbox controller to play the game with a controller. You must remember that the controller cannot function on its own. As mentioned earlier, you will need third-party applications like JoyToKey to use an Xbox controller.
- Are the valorant developers considering the use of consoles?
Different players of the Valorant game have been asking this question for some time now. Unfortunately, there is no tangible backing whether the game will be available on consoles.
However, you will be happy to know that the developers are working on a mobile version. So, if you love the mobile version of shooting games like this, stay tuned for updates about it. Even though there is no set date for a release, the mobile version will be released anytime from now.
Even though it is not official, playing the valorant game is possible even without using ReWASD. We have highlighted how you can go about this. Read through and have fun in the valorant game.