Playing a game in a foreign language can be quite frustrating. It can result in misunderstandings that can affect the outcome of the game. League of Legends is available in different regions. However, the language options are restricted to the most popular languages in those regions.
A good instance will be that the new client does not allow you to change your language to Korean. It is only if you are on the Korean server. There is a way to work around these limitations though. You can still get to play league of legends in your favourite language. This article will be showing you how you can work around language restrictions.
Easy Way on How To Change League of Legends Language
Different changes were made to the league of legends client in 2020. One of the most important steps towards modernization has to be the improvement and changes made to the old client. The new client comes with better customization and responsiveness.
Even though the new client comes in with some great features, there are some issues with it. The designers have restricted the language changing option to only a few languages. This will depend on the server your account was registered.
If you want to change the language to other regionally available languages, then, you can follow the guidelines below.
- So, the first thing to do will be to launch the league of legends client without signing in. If you are logged in by default, then you will need to log out. Then, you can restart the client.
- Then, locate the settings button at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Click on the language selection menu.
- A drop-down list will appear with different languages.
The list will vary depending on the server of your client. An instance will be that North American users have access to only English Language. These restrictions also apply to Canada even though they have French as a second language. European West players have access to four other languages apart from the English Language.
There is actually a way to access other languages without messing up the game files. To do this, you will have to switch your server to a different region. You can do this via the store page of the client. You must know that this could cost you some cash though.
So, once you are set to switch servers, then follow the instructions below:
- Launch the league of legends client.
- Then, visit the store. The store has a stack of icons at the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on the accessories tab.
- Then, try to locate the server transfer tab.
- You can now select the region you want.
You must bear in mind that some locations such as China and Korea do not permit transfer. This means that you cannot transfer from or to them. Then, changing regions is not always available due to technical requirements and seasonal resets.
- The 10 Best CPU For Minecraft Server Hosting and Streaming
- 10 Best Gaming Mouse For League Of Legends In 2022
- List of 13+ Best Waterproof Gaming Laptop Backpack in 2022
How Can I Change League of Legend Language on My Computer?
However, people rarely get into trouble for changing languages. The reality is that language change is a minor change that does not offer any gameplay benefit. So, if you want to go ahead and make these changes, then, you will have to modify some things on your computer.
The easiest method to change the language will be changing how the client works. Let’s run you through the necessary steps.
- Open the directory for the league of legends. The installer by default will direct it to C:/Riot Games/League of Legends. If you used another drive to install it, then, the drive is what you need to work with.
- Right-click on the league client application. This is the file that ends with the .exe.
- Select the Send to option.
- This will take you to a drop-down list. Select the Desktop (create shortcut) option.
- Then, go to your desktop and right-click the newly created shortcut.
- Select the properties option in the drop-down list that appears.
- Locate the target tab in the shortcut section of the properties menu.
- In the target field, append the following text: -locale=XXXXX.
XXXXX is a five-character language code. Different codes work for different languages. So, you will have to navigate the code for the language you want to switch to and select it.
If this option does not work out, then, you will have to access the game files and switch them directly with a text editor. A notepad would do preferably. So, let’s guide you through how you can do that.
- So, go ahead and open the league of legends installation directory.
- Then, you can open the config folder.
- Locate the file named LeagueClientSettings.yaml and right-click on it.
- Then, select the edit with the notepad option.
- Try to locate the line that starts with locale. The code for the game language will be written just after this word.
- You can change the language code to the one you prefer.
- Ensure you save the changes.
- Then, you can now go back to the league of legends root folder.
- Right-click on it and create a desktop shortcut just as we did earlier.
- Then, right-click on the desktop shortcut.
- Visit the target field in the properties section and change the code to the desired code.
- Accept the changes. Then, click on the game client from the desktop shortcut and see if the changes have been made.
Why would I Need to Change The League of Legends’ Client Language?
You must have known that changing the language of the game does not add any extra modifications to the game. There is nothing to be afraid of and the decision is yours to make. With these changes, however, the voicing of the characters will change.
For instance, in Japan, the original dubbing of the game was released in Japanese. So, many people prefer that it remains that way rather than switching it to English or Spanish. When the game was released globally, the only language it came with was Japanese. So, older players resonate with this language better than some other languages.
So, changing the game’s language is your call. You decide to make. However, you must know that it does not affect the game’s mechanics in any way whatsoever. It might even affect your perception of the game to an extent but you will get used to it in no time at all.
You must also remember that changes in terms of language will depend on the server you have. So, if your language is not on the available server, you will most likely have to switch servers. You can also go to the game files to work around the changes.
- 3 Methods on How To Log Out of League of Legends 2022
- Guide on How To Lower Pings in LOL(League of Legends)
- Methods on How To Appear Offline In The League of Legends
Changing the league of legends language might come off as complicated. However, with the steps that we have highlighted, you can easily make that desired language change that you have been hoping for.
So, read through and get yourself informed. Follow our instructions and watch the language of your league of legends client change.