Nintendo Switch is everyone’s favourite handheld gadget that can play a variety of games and has a slew of exclusive titles under its belt. Because of how simple it is to operate without any flashy gimmicks, its whimsical design has captivated people of all ages all over the world.
However, things may be a little more tricky than you expect when it comes to playing your favourite games on an external physical screen. The following is a simple step-by-step explanation of how to connect your Nintendo Switch to your laptop’s HDMI port.
This handy gaming handheld device isn’t designed to connect to a laptop screen in the same way that a conventional television is. So, to effectively connect it to your laptop and display your favourite games, we’ve compiled a list of the steps to connect the Nintendo Switch to your laptop.
Guide on How to Connect Nintendo Switch to Laptop with HDMI
when you play your Nintendo Switch on your laptop, your laptop’s monitor acts as a TV screen, allowing you to leave your Nintendo Switch docked for the duration of the setup procedure.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from the Nintendo Switch and the TV.
- Connect the Nintendo Switch’s HDMI cable to the Elgato HD60 HDMI capture card’s HDMI In port. Because this process consumes a lot of electricity, you should connect both your laptop and Nintendo Switch dock to a source of electricity.
- Go on to Open Game Capture HD on your laptop
- Click on the home button on any connected controller to turn on your Nintendo Switch console.
- Automatically connect the capture card to your laptop using the USB cable that came with the Elgato HD60.
- Within Game Capture HD, you should see your Nintendo Switch home button after a few seconds. If the Nintendo Switch isn’t detected by Elgato’s Game Capture HD software, make sure the HDMI cable is put into the capture cards In port rather than the Out port. It should be connected to the USB cord on the same side.
- In-Game Capture HD’s top-right corner, select the fullscreen icon. The program should occupy the entire screen.
- Don’t touch your mouse or keyboard with your hands. The footage from the Nintendo Switch should immediately expand to span the entire screen. You may now play Nintendo Switch games on your laptop in the same way that you would on a television. This method can also be used to watch media from any other device with an HDMI cable.
About Capture Cards
For this technique, any capture card with a USB-C connection and an HDMI In connector will suffice. There are various excellent capture cards to pick from, but Elgato cards are the most popular among gamers due to their affordability, build quality, and ease of usage.
For these instructions, we used an Elgato HD60 HDMI capture device and the free Elgato Game Capture HD program. The capture card may be purchased on Amazon, and the free software can be downloaded from the Elgato website.
The process should be the same if you’re connecting your Switch to your laptop with another capture card. Similarly, most game capture software works in the same way, so you can use another program instead of Game Capture HD if you want.
Alternative Way to Use Your Laptop to Play Nintendo Switch Games
If you don’t have an HDMI capture card and can’t afford one, playing the PC versions of your favourite Nintendo Switch games on your laptop is a viable option. You won’t have to learn new controls because many Nintendo Switch controllers are also compatible with laptops and desktop computers.
Except for first-party properties like Super Mario, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon, many of the video games available on the Nintendo Switch may also be found on Windows 10, Epic Games, or Steam through the Microsoft Store app store.
Some popular online games, such as Minecraft and Fortnite, even allow you to store your progress across multiple devices. That means you can play a game on your laptop that you started on your Nintendo Switch, then transfer your progress to your Switch when you’re ready.
Check out Xbox Play Anywhere titles if you often buy console games for your PC and own an Xbox One console. These allow you to purchase both the console and PC versions of the game for the price of one.
If you’re willing to tolerate this and plan to play Switch games on a larger screen at home, Then you should connect your Nintendo Switch to your laptop without hesitation.
Be certain to purchase a high-quality Game Capture Card. The rest of the stages are simple; just follow the instructions and you’ll be ready to enjoy it all in no time.